If you ask me, which is my most favourite cuisine apart from Bengali... I would say it's Punjabi. It's not a tough choice for me! I just love Punjabi food. It's richness..it's texture...aroma everything.
And the good thing is, my husband also loves this cuisine..as he spent a long time in Delhi. So we both love Punjabi or I would say North Indian food. :)
Daal Makhani (also known as Maa ki Daal/Daal Maharani/Kali Daal etc.) is one of most common and popular Punjabi dish. Daal Makhani is actually sabut urad daal (whole black gram) & raajma (red kidney beans) cooked with butter and cream. Creamy smooth rich daal with delicious aroma makes it really a special dish. I prefer my Daal Makhani with plain Phulkas...only a piece of pyaz and little achaar to accompany.
Ingredients for Daal Makhani:
- Sabut urad daal (whole black gram) 1cup
- Raajma (red kidney beans) 1 handful
- Onion 1 large (finely chopped)
- Tomato 1 large (finely chopped)
- Ginger 1" (paste) + 1 table spoon finely chopped
- Garlic 2-3 cloves (paste) + 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- Green chilli 3 or according to taste (I paste chilli with ginger and garlic)
- Coriander leaves 2 table spoon (finely chopped) (optional)
- Cumin seed 1 tea spoon
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cardamom 2
- Bay leaf 1
- Coriander powder 1 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder 1 tea spoon
- Kasuri methi 1 tea spoon
- Asafoetida 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Garan masala powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Sugar 1/2 tea spoon
- Cooking cream 1/4 cup
- Butter 2 table spoon
- Oil 1 table spoon
How to prepare Daal Makhani:
- Soak both lentils overnight and wash them 4-5 times. Pressure cook with salt, turmeric powder, chopped ginger and garlic.Do not over-cook. Authentically it is not cooked in pressure cooker but to save time we use pressure cooker.
- Take a kadhai..heat oil to it. Temper with asafoetida, cumin seed, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Feel the aroma.
- Add chopped onion. Fry until golden. Add ginger-garlic-chilli paste. Fry until raw smell disappears and oil starts separating. Add chopped tomato, salt, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and sugar. Cook till tomato is soft and mushy. And makes a smooth gravy. Oil is totally separated from spices. Add kasuri methi powder. Stir it.
- Add daal to spices. Add little water if needed. Shimmer it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream and shimmer for 20-25 minutes over low heat.
- Add butter and turn off the heat . You can add butter while serving.
- Serve with a piece of butter and little cream. Also you can add chopped coriander leaves while serving.
- Enjoy Daal Makhani with phulka or naan or tandoori roti.
You can follow me on my Facebook page for regular update...:) Thank you!!