Poppy seed or Posto is a significant spice in almost all the bengali kitchens in West Bengal. We bengalis can make and eat and love anything with Posto ..be it vegetables, fish, egg or even chicken. Here I am sharing a Rohu fish recipe with poppy seed. It called as Rui Posto. I learned this from my mother-in-law. She makes it really yummy. It's a simple recipe with simple ingredients. But really very rich in taste.
- Rohu fish/ rui mach 4-5 large pieces (except head & tail)
- Onion 1 large and 1 small (sliced)
- Tomato 1 medium (chopped)
- Ginger paste 1 tea spoon
- Poppy seed paste/ posto baNta 3 table spoon
- Green chilli paste (according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar (pinch of...optional)
- Turmeric powder (to marinate fish and little bit to cook)
- Mustard oil (as required)
- Slitted green chilli 1 or 2
- Marinate fish pieces with salt & turmeric powder and fry golden in color. Stain and keep separately.
- In remaining oil add onion slices and fry it translucent (do not let it very brown).
- Add ginger paste, chilli paste and tomato slices,salt,turmeric powder and sugar (if using) ...fry till raw smell disappears and oil starts separating.
- Add poppy seed paste and fry for 2 min more.
- Add water (not too much ...as you won't like it very runny!!) ...let it come to boil and add fish pieces. cook covered for 3-4 minutes over low heat.
- Increase heat, shimmer for 2-3 minutes and adjust gravy-consistency.
- Add one spoon mustard oil and few slitted green chilli to get more flavour.
- Enjoy with plain rice.