Punjabi Kadhi is a traditional Punjabi dish. "Kadhi" means gravy. Main ingredients of this kadhi are, yogurt and gram flour.But there are other spices that makes this kadhi aromatic and rich. In other states of India ,people also make kadhi, like Gujrati kadhi,Sindhi kadhi,Rajasthani kadhi.But there are differences in ingredients and process. In Punjab, normally people make kadhi with pakori (fritter). Sometimes vegetables like tomato, okra etc are used in place of flitters.
For Fritters (pakori):
- gram flour (1 cup)
- finely chopped onion (1 small), green chilli (1 piece) , fenugreek leaf (half cup)
- whole coriander seeds (broken into halves)
- pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- pinch of turmeric powder
- baking soda
- vegetable for deep frying
For gravy (kadhi):
- yogurt (1and half cup)
- gram flour (2 tea spoon)
- ginger and green chilli paste (1 tea spoon)
- finely chopped onion (1 small)
- cumin seed and fenugreek seed (half tea spoon each)
- salt,turmeric powder,dry ginger powder (half tea spoon),sugar
- water (as needed)
- vegetable oil (2 tea spoon)
For tempering (tadka):
- cumin seed (half tea spoon)
- hing (1 pinch)
- red chilli powder (less than half tea spoon)
- dried red chilli (2 pieces)
- clarified butter (deshi ghee- 1 teaspoon)
- First we will make the pakoris..for that we need to mix all the ingredients of pakori,except oil. And make a batter of that. Batter will not be very thick or very watery.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry the pakoris and stain them on tissue papper.
- For making kadhi mix yogurt, gram flour,ginger and green chilli paste, salt,turmeric powder,dry ginger powder,sugar in a large bowl. Mix water. Mix well so that there is no lump.
- Heat 2 tea spoon oil in a pan. Sprinkle cumin seed and fenugreek seed. Stir for a while. Be careful to not to burn it.
- Add the onion to it. Fry the onion until soft and translucent,but don't make it brown.
- Now completely reduce the flame and add the yogurt mix. Stir continuously.
- When the Kadhi starts getting thicker add the Pakoris and stir for one more minute.
- Heat clarified butter in a separate pan and add cumin seed,hing ,red chilli powder,dried red chillis to it. Stir for few seconds and add to the Kadhi just before serving.
Serve Punjabi Kadhi with plain white rice or chapati/roti.