"Man(g)sor Jhol" (chicken/mutton curry) ar "Bhat" is the most favourite sunday-lunch for most of bengalis. My Ma also used to make this most of the sundays and it tastes heavenly. Speciality of this dish is, the oil we use, it separates completely and makes a layer of oil over the gravy and gives it a really rich and spicy look. Though we don't use that much of oil and spices. So I named it "Tel Bhe(n)se Otha Murgir Jhol" .
Ingredients for Tel bheNshe otha "Murgir Jhol":
- Chicken (750 grms washed and pat dried)
- Potato (1 large- cut into quarters and washed)
- Garlic (10/12 cloves- paste)
- Onion (3 medium- 1 paste, 2 thinly sliced)
- Ginger (1 inch-paste)
- Tomato (1 medium-chopped)
- Fresh red Chilli/Dried red chilli (4/5 or as per taste- paste..I don't use dry red chilli)
- Unsweetened yogurt/curd (4 tea spoon-whisked)
- Cumin Powder (1 small spoon)
- Kashmiri red chilli Powder (1 small spoon-optional)
- Garam mashala Powder (quarter tea spoon)
- Turmeric Powder ( half tea spoon)
- Sugar (half tea spoon)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Bay leaf and whole dry red chilli ( 1 piece each)
- Mustard oil (4/5 tablespoon)
- Boiled water (2 cups or as much gravy you want)
How to prepare Tel bheNshe otha "Murgir Jhol":
- Mix ginger-garlic-onion-chilli paste, cumin-kashmiri mirch-garam mashala-turmeric powder,curd/yogurt,chopped tomato in a mixing bowl.
- Add chicken pieces to that mixture and marinate for 2 hours.
- Now heat oil in a deep pan. Fry potato pieces and keep them aside.
- Add sugar to the oil and caramelize it.
- Add bay leaf and whole dry red chilli. fry for few seconds...don't burn it.
- Now add sliced onion, fry them until translucent and light brown.Then add marinated chicken. Cook in high flame for 5-6 mins. And then cover it and cook it in medium to low flame..stir occasionally. Continue for 10-15 mins.
- When you start getting beautiful smell of cooked spices and notice the oil is separating from the spices, add the potato pieces and stir for 1 more min.
- Now add salt and finally add the boiling water..cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes or until done in low flame.
- Turn the gas off when done and give it 5 minutes standing time with lid on.
- Serve hot with plain white rice.
For regular updates, just click the "like" button of my Facebook page. You can follow me also in NetworkedBlogs . Thank you and wish to see you again. Happy cooking till then :)