- middle flat pieces of rohu fish ( called as "peti" in bengali) marinate with salt and turmeric powder
- 1 piece large onion, 3 cloves garlic,1 small tomato, 3 green chili and 1/2 inch ginger (make a smooth paste together)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped))
- 2 and 1/2 table spoon unsweetened yogurt (whisk it nicely)
- coriander and cumin powder 1/2 tea spoon each
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick,1 small bay leaf, 1 dried red chili
- refined oil,salt,turmeric,sugar ( as required)
- In a bowl take the paste of onion-garlic-ginger-tomato-chili, whisked yogurt, coriander and cumin powder, termeric powder, salt and sugar and very little water. Mix it well.
- Heat a pan and add the refined oil. And fry the fish (both side) very gently and lightly and keep them aside.
- Add 1/2 inch cinnamon stick,1 small bay leaf, 1 dried red chili in the oil and let the nice aroma come.
- Now sprinkle the chopped onion and fry it until soft and translucent.
- Add the mixture of spices and yogurt and cook in medium flame.
- Pour half cup water once oil starts separating from the spices.
- Let it boil for few seconds and add the fish pieces to it.
- Cover it nicely and let it be cooked in low flame for 5 mins.
- Switch off the gas and add 1/2 spoon clarified butter (ghee) if u like.
- Serve it with plain white steamed rice. :-)