Laal maas means Red meat...Actually its lamb/mutton preparation with red color gravy. It's a hot and spicy dish and it's red color comes from lots of dried red chili used in it. So it's not artificial red food color.:)
- Mutton/lamb (cut into big pieces) 500gms
- Dried red chili 8/10 (soak in hot water for 10 mins and make a fine paste)
- Whipped unsweetened curd half cup
- 1 large onion cut into thin slices
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Garlic paste 2 tea spoon full
- Ginger paste half tea spoon (actually it's optional..but I used)
- Whole garam masala..(cinnamon stick, green cardamom pods,nutmeg,bay leaf)
- Kashmiri red chili powder 1 tea spoon
- Cumin and Coriander powder 1 teaspoon each
- Salt and Turmeric powder
- Half tea spoon suger
- Marinate mutton/lamb with whipped unsweetened curd,garlic paste,ginger paste,cumin and coriander powder,turmeric powder,kashmiri red chili powder and keep it aside for 3-4 hours in fridge.
- Heat ghi/oil in a heavy (thick) bottom pan. Add the whole garam masala. When crackels add suger and let it caramelize.
- Then add the onion slices...cook them until become translucent.
- Now add the chili paste and cook for a while.
- Then add the marinated mutton/lamb and cook in high flame for a while.
- Now add half cup boiling hot water in it and close the pan with a lid tightly. You can use maida /flour dough to seal the pan.
- And cook for 45-50 mins in a very low flame.Or you can use a pressure cooker to save the time.
- If using a pressure cooker ,you need to cook it for almost 25 mins in low flame.
- Garnish it with onion rings and chopped coriander leaves.
- serve it hot with roti/parantha/kulcha or nun.