"শুভ নববর্ষের আন্তরিক শুভেচ্ছা সকল বন্ধুদের "Wish you all a very bright and happy Bengali New Year!
"Poila Boisakh" is a very special day to me, as there are loads memory attached with this day since I was a child. Like any other Bengali business-background family, we always celebrated this occasion as a new start ..with "notun khata" (to start a new financial year). Puja -good food-new dresses etc.
Being away from my home, I miss those things. Now it's only cooking some good food and talking with family over phone or Skype and greeting friends on social medias! Time changes!
I made something lovely and easy with our favourite vegetable "Potol" (pointed gourd). I never cooked pointed gourd like this before. Sharing the recipe Here.
Yield 4 servings
Ingredients for "Bahari Potol":
- Potol (pointed gourd) 8-10
- Black mustard seed 1 and half table spoon
- Poppy seed 1 and half table spoon
- Freshly grated coconut 4 table spoon
- Green chilli 3-4 (according to your taste)
- Nigella seed 2 pinch
- Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- Sugar 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard oil (use any other vegetable oil if mustard oil is not available)
How to prepare "Bahari Potol":
- Soak mustard seed and poppy seed together for an hour. Grind to a smooth paste with green chillies and a large pinch of salt.
- Add grated coconut to food processor and give it few quick pulse to make it smoother.
- Now wash and scrap the shiny skin of pointed gourds with a knife..give it a matty look..do not peel. Cut the both end and half them lengthwise.
- Smear pointed gourds with little salt and turmeric powder. Keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry potol-halves over low heat and cover until they are cooked but try to keep them golden. Take them out from oil.
- Mix mustard seed-poppy seed paste and coconut paste together with few table spoon water, salt, few pinch turmeric powder and half tea spoon sugar.
- Change the oil if it is black in color or reduce the oil to 1 table spoon. Temper it with nigella seeds.
- Add spice paste to it. Stir it and add little water if needed. Bring it to shimmer.
- Add fried Potol. Shimmer covered for 3-4 minutes over low heat. Spices should coat potol nicely. Check seasoning and add little raw mustard oil before you turn off the heat.
- Mustard oil and mustard seed gives it awesome XXXtra zing !! Serve with some daal and steaming hot rice!